Thursday, December 8, 2011

Little Chair and Stool

Over the last weeks I posted some projects where I used the different methods of transferring images to the top surface of furniture.  One of the projects I used the wax paper method of transferring and I promised to explain this method more this week.  I used it once again on 2 new projects I just finished.  The first thing you do is find a design that fits the project and in my case one that makes me feel all tingly inside.  I found the perfect images on the net and saved them to my computer. The chair I found here http://alapinlife.blogspot.com/2011/10/paris-address-tips-art.html and the stool I found here http://www.yellowbrickhome.com/2011/08/18/be-our-guest-besotted-brand/comment-page-1/#comment-6971. You can always go to my Pinterest boards under Printables and find them and many more cool images.  Once you images are saved to a file and make them the size I need.  I printed the images out on wax paper. To get the paper to feed through my computer I tack it on to a piece of regular piece of computer paper with a dab of white glue, not too much in fact a glue stick would probably work perfectly.   The image is printed in reverse or mirror image so it comes out ready to place fact down on the project.  Before the image is place onto the project it needs to be dampened slightly.  Once it is in place I use the side of a rubber spatula to rub over the back of the paper (Paper is ink side down against the project) using medium force not too much so you don't rip the paper but enough to insure it is transferred to the project.  Don't get discouraged if your first attempt doesn't work or if you it does but the next 2 attempts fail and you end up repainting and trying again.  It is a worth while method that takes practice but the outcome is very nice.  Next week I am trying another method using plastic sheets.  The same type of procedure just a different medium to print the image onto.  The surface of the project should always have a flat paint surface not a gloss or satin for it to transfer without smearing.






3 comments:

  1. These look lovely --- thank you so much for sharing!
    Blessings, Becky
    www.fromgentogen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the chair--the blue is perfect with the seat. Thanks for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this method I'm always looking for good transfer methods. Your projects turned out lovely. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete