Friday, December 23, 2011

Lace Union Jack

Oh Christmas is almost here.  I am so looking forward to this year my Mom will be here and I am sure we will have so a lot of fun.  I have been so busy planning Christmas I haven't been able to finish too many projects but I did get this trunk done in time to take into the shop this week.  It started out as a really beat up piece that was painted glossy white and in need of much love and attention. I put some legs on it first because I thought it looked to ordinary.

The top actually had a bunny decal on it that took much sanding to remove.  I mixed up my own color a very demure aqua blue.  But first I painted it with a good primer then  a flat white.  I then painted the blue over the white sparingly so that some would show through.  After the blue dried I painted on the crossbars and then made the lace inset.  I placed some lace on the white strips and anchored it down on each side with two boards.  I then sprayed the exposed part with brilliant silver.  After removing the boards and the lace the wonderful lace middle emerges to give it top the look of a Union Jack design.  I coated the whole piece with Min Wax water base poly. I took it to the shop on Wednesday and it will be interesting to see if it sells right away. 


1 comment:

  1. Much nicer now that you've added YOUR magical touch! Even the addition of the feet made a huge difference in the appeal of the piece.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope to see you again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete